Cooper University Health Care’s mission is: To serve, to heal, to educate. Cooper’s mission does not contemplate nor allow for discrimination or inequality in its practice. Our GME Diversity Council supports, fosters, and promotes an environment where all members of its academic community may thrive and succeed, regardless of race, creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, or age.
The Emergency Medicine Residency at Cooper Medical School of Rowan University and Cooper University Hospital participates in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS), and all information is processed through this system without exception.
ERAS applications must contain the following information in order for your application to be considered:
For Cooper EM's 2022-2023 Interviews
- Common application form
- We are requiring 2 SLOEs
- We are requesting applicants to include a program specific paragraph/addendum on their personal statement as to why they would succeed at Cooper
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
- USMLE/COMLEX Scores – All applicants must submit USMLE Step 1 results
- Completed applications must be submitted by October 5th
- All applications are screened by the Selection Committee
- Interviews are by invitation only
- We will begin releasing interview offers on a rolling basis on the EM unified interview release date of Wednesday, October 19, 2022, with the exception of our home and rotating students who may be notified sooner.
- You will be notified via email if you have been offered the opportunity to interview.
- All interviews will be virtual and will run from November through mid-January.
- Invitations are given to a highly competitive and select group of applicants. You will be notified via email if you have been offered the opportunity to interview. In order to be guaranteed an interview spot, please be sure to respond as soon as possible after receiving your invitation email.
We understand the value of being able to visit the hospital where you could possibly train for the next three years and experience the culture of a program in person. We are also committed to promoting equity in the residency application process. For these reasons, we are offering opportunities to visit our facilities but only during predetermined times through our GME Office (dates below, all from 4p-6p EST). During these GME sponsored open houses, you will have the opportunity to tour our emergency department and interact with emergency medicine residents. We will NOT be arranging separate second looks through our emergency department. Your decision to participate in a GME sponsored open house will have absolutely no bearing on our program's rank order list decisions. In an effort to ensure no applicants feel pressured to visit our hospital and to ensure we are not biased towards those who do have the mean and opportunity to visit us, names of individuals participating in the GME open houses will NOT be shared with EM residency program leadership. We hope this allows all applicants the ability to make informed decisions that best fit their needs. Students who receive an invite for an interview with our program will also receive the information about these GME sponsored open houses.
The dates for the GME sponsored open houses are:
- Tuesday, November 15 (RSVP deadline: 11/10)
- Tuesday, December 20 (RSVP deadline: 12/14)
- Tuesday, January 17 (RSVP deadline: 1/11)
- Tuesday, February 21 (RSVP deadline: 2/15)
Eligibility for the Emergency Medicine Residency Program requires graduation from an accredited medical school. Individuals accepted for a position in the program must be U.S. citizen, classified as a resident alien, or hold a J-1 visa.