The academic year is organized in thirteen 4-week blocks:
- inpatient palliative medicine with our active consult service (6-7 blocks)
- home hospice and inpatient hospice care (approximately 5 blocks)
- pediatric palliative medicine, thorough partnership with Nemours/Alfred I. DuPont Pediatric Palliative Care Program (1/2 block)
- long-term care (1/2 block)
- electives, which may include interventional pain management, administration, HIV/AIDS, neurology, trauma, psychiatry, etc. (two ½ blocks)
The longitudinal outpatient experience carries on throughout the year, with our fellow spending two ½ day sessions each week in the Palliative Medicine Clinic of Cooper’s MD Anderson Cancer Center affiliate.
We have a highly developed didactic educational component for the HPM fellowship at Cooper that includes dedicated and protected learning time for lecture, role play scenarios, small group sessions, and journal club.
Sessions are delivered weekly by a multidisciplinary group of educations who provide a wide range of experiences for education of our fellows.